Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Dialogue taken straight out of an NSF brochure...

BERNINBUSH: hmmm.... so am i better off with my current plan, which charged me this month 10.5 cents for the first 250 kwh and 15.2 cents for 1,230 kwh, or the new plan that charges a flat 14.6 cents per kwh?
Eliane16: you can make a graph and see where the lines intersect!!
Eliane16: this is so exciting!
BERNINBUSH: lol
Eliane16: Inner Math Nerd Activated!
BERNINBUSH: i'm just doing it on the calculator ;-)
Eliane16: Math in the Real World! Look! Look!
Eliane16: but you can calculate the break-even point! hang on
BERNINBUSH: i think for this month the new plan would come out two dollars more expensive
BERNINBUSH: well.... it gives my "average" as 14.8 cents, but i think that's factoring in tax, which I'm assuming i would still have to pay on top of the "flat rate"
BERNINBUSH: bottom line: it doesn't make much difference. i'm not going to mess with it
Eliane16: wait! wait! I just got our equations... one minute...
BERNINBUSH: lol!!
BERNINBUSH: whatever makes you happy....
Eliane16: OKAY:
Eliane16: if you use MORE THAN 1958 kwh per month
Eliane16: you should use the flat rate plan
Eliane16: if you use less than that, you're better off with the original plan
Eliane16:
BERNINBUSH: yeah i've only used more than that once or twice i think ;-)
Eliane16: okay! yay! decision: stick with plan you have now!
Eliane16: WE JUST USED ALGEBRA TO SOLVE A REAL-WORLD PROBLEM
Eliane16: I AM SO EXCITED!
BERNINBUSH: lol!!
Eliane16: IT'S TOTALLY LIKE WE"RE ON A COMMERCIAL FOR GIRLS IN MATH AND SCIENCE OR SOMETHIGN!!
Eliane16: YES!!
BERNINBUSH: lol. I'm glad to make you happy ;-)
Eliane16: I have GOT to put this in facebook or my blog or something...

No comments: