Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cusotmer Assistance Needed in the Shoe Department...

You know it just occurred to me- maybe my first problem is attempting to buy shoes in a store where a salesperson has to be paged to the shoe department ("shoe aisle"...? yeah). Could I be on to something here?

Anyway, as some of you (*cough* Adrienne *cough*) may know, I have always been Shoe Challenged. I blame it on spending my formative college and young adult years with Mathematicians, people who might or might not be wearing matching socks at any given moment, let alone fashionable footwear. Recently I have been working on improving my image a little bit, in a sort of interested but ambivalent attempt to conform to more, shall we say, traditional forms of Modern Feminine Style. ("The chunky, clunky combat boots," Adrienne says. "I just... I wouldn't wear them with that dress."*)

This is where you come in, gentle reader. I need your help. Specifically, this is my delimma:

1) We live in a place with famously Cold Winters.
2) When it is Really, Really cold, I usually either wear pants to church (dress pants or khakis [are they called chinos now...? I'm so stuck in the 90's...]) or long skirts. Back in the day, Pre-Lactation, I wore dresses, but as I don't have any nursing dresses, I think I can safely say I haven't worn a dress in over a year (isn't that sad?) So with my Dockers, I feel happy wearing comfortable socks and my brown loafer-type things, that look something like this...

But with my black dress pants? And long black skirts? I'm a little clueless. I don't exactly think this

would work well in the snow and ice. Especially since I have a feeling you're not supposed to wear comfy thick black tights with them...?


I used to have this pair of black mocs (?? is that the right term??) that I wore all the time with black tights and skirts... they looked something like this, only with thinner soles:


Probably not very stylish, but super comfy and practical to wear in snow and ice. [Did I mention? I trip over my own feet frequently? On flat, dry ground? I am a nightmare on ice? Also I carry my CHILD around now?!?]

These shoes just bit the bullet (I'm pretty sure I bought them at Shoe Parade in 2001 for $20, so they certainly had a good life...), and I need to find a replacement for them.

So my question is: suggest a style of shoe (links would be helpful) that I can wear with some kind of sock or hosiery (you need to be very specific explaining what type) with long (mid-calf-to-ankle-length) skirts and pants when it's COLD out.

Now, I think an obvious choice might be tall black boots, right? With an almost-pointy toe and a token attempt at a heel...? Maybe like these:


I could wear these with both pants AND skirts, right? The only thing concerning me is that it's hard to find boots like this in my price range (the above pair is $173 at Zappos.com. Neb's shoe budget is about $20, maybe $30 at the MOST. I found some brown boots for $10 at The Shoe Department a couple of months ago, but that's RARE.) Also, boots are kind of a Bold Shoe Statement, aren't they? It might be nice to (also?) have something a little simpler. So toss me some ideas, people. I need help!!

Love, Neb

*You should know that I doubt Adrienne ever actually made this statement, as she is Kind and Caring and would never give me unsolicited fashion advice, but after I tried to pick her brain for a LONG time about shoes to wear with dresses and skirts, she did come up with "Maybe more feminine styles...?"

PS I just noticed my child has static cling between her nightgown and her diaper. Isn't that adorable?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10544143

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9870676

Also try Payless.

Anonymous said...

I am also Shoe Challenged. My problem is that I avoid all forms of hoisery whenever possible, and the tops of my toes are very sensitive and blister easily, and I never learned to walk in heels more than an inch tall. So my preferred form of footwear is sandals. But that gets awkward in January, even in Texas, so I do own a nice pair of Easy Spirit mary janes (?? or something like that). They're not bad, go with skirts or pants, and can be worn with or without hose. Downside is, they were about $80. But that's better than buying four pairs of shoes that I'll wear once and reject as too uncomfortable, right?

Actually, if you got those brown loafers in black, I would think they'd go with black pants and skirts. But maybe I'm just showing my cluelessness there.

Anonymous said...

http://www.grandinroad.com/jump.jsp?&itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=16893&k=ZZ50882

Anonymous said...

Try: http://tinyurl.com/5yf2yt or
http://tinyurl.com/438rwb (but the second pair would not be good in deep snow).

These are a little pricey, but worth it because they'll last forever: http://tinyurl.com/4wodnl.

These boots are reasonably priced (& heeled) and go with pants or skirts: http://tinyurl.com/3rwhgm.

I'm no fashionista, but I think these would all look good with pants or skirts and with thick hosiery (for casual) or trouser socks/hose (for dressy).

A rule of thumb for hosiery: the more casual the outfit you're wearing, the more opaque the hosiery.

Kat said...

Four words...

I Love Comfort

Sears

The I Love Comfort series is usually pretty affordable and as Vivian can attest I just bought a pair that look a lot like your mocs from the Sears down here. sears.com should have some on their website. Mine were $45, but that means good prices when on sale right?

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna echo Vivian's opinion that it is better to spend a *little* more on quality/comfort. famousfootwear.com had an interesting pair or two, but starting at around $40.

Another interesting website I found out about recently is sierratradingpost.com . They carry closeouts, factory seconds, etc. of good brands at a fraction of the cost, have good customer service and are apparently a Christian-run organization. They, too, have boots starting at around $40.

Two other options: get some more loafers (I vote for more of a Mary Jane, however, on the grounds that they're at least a little more feminine) and a cheap pair of overshoes.
Or try craigslist. Seriously, slightly used shoes can be awesome. And cheap.

Anonymous said...

These are good for jeans/slacks. There are no frills (aka feminine details) which to me is best since the frills would be mostly hidden by the pant legs anyway. Also, they have a sturdy heel for support and ease of walking.
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/comfort/PRD~371820/NaturalSoul+by+naturalizer+Lateral+Dress+Heels.jsp

These would go well with skirts. Note the feminine details that would be crowded out even if worn with a straight leg pant. Also note the non-chunky heel that is (to me) the most important thing to look for when buying a shoe to be worn with skirts, capris, or anything else revealing your ankle.
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/heels/casual/PRD~379609/Truflex+Galena+Pumps.jsp

The trick is finding a pair of shoes that can be worn with pants as well as skirts. I would suggest something basic with no frills but feminine contours.
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/comfort/PRD~358629/A2+by+Aerosoles+Tincel+Pumps++Black.jsp

If all else fails, give in and buy a Mary Jane Wedge (support and femininity wrapped up in one pair of shoes).
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/wedgesespadrilles/PRD~360669/Rialto+Fredda+Mary+Jane+Wedges.jsp

Kohl's

Get it!

Anonymous said...

P.S. You misspelled "customer" in the title...