Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Tornadoes, sperm, and bloomin' love...

Class registration is complete. Dr. Davis reminds me of a younger, but arguably just as cranky Dr. Mann. I survived, though. Thoughts on our morning meeting:

1) Only in Math can a professor ask you something like "Are you Pure?" at the beginning of a conversation and not get in trouble for sexual harrassment.
2) He penciled in some classes on my tentative schedule for the first couple of years, including algebraic topology. He is, interestingly enough, an Algebraic Topologist.
3) I was thrilled to learn that the algebra book required is Dummit and Foote, which I already own, but bitterly disappointed to discover that the third edition is required, while I possess merely the Second. Trying to use the old edition would lead to Frustration over mismatched pages and missing problems (I know; I've tried it before). I can buy the new edition, but I can't sell the old one as the new one is out now and everyone will want that, and what good will it do me to own different editions of the same book? Sigh. It's just one of those things.
4) There are supposedly 4 other students starting the program with me: 3 guys, and an unknown person who wasn't on the list. [Dr. Davis said vaguely, "there will probably be one more."] I'm still trying to figure out: will I make friends with my fellow students next year? Do all my work in my office and talk to everyone all day...? Or show up for class 3 days a week and spend the rest of the time at home? (Classes are 9:10, 10:10, and 1:10, MWF. Pretty cushy, huh?)

********************Truncated Spacer Bar for Nate
I tutored Chrissy at the library today and returned the 6 books that I didn't read in the six weeks that I had them. (They were 3 about math, 3 about music. I read part of The Millenium Problems- the part that interested me- and the first couple of pages of the book about e. Pretty pathetic. Once in a while I worry about all those poor Aspiring Kids at the library who were depreived of those 6 books for the 6 weeks that I had them, Not Reading them. Oh well.) Anyway, today I got two new books: "The Education Gospel" by Grubb and Lazerson, which is subtitled, "The Economic Power of Schooling" [if that helps to explain its content to you]; and, "The Vintage Book of Modern Indian Literature" [which I will definitely not read all of, but will hopefully read at least one page of.] Somebody ask me next week how I'm liking these books...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Truncated for my Darlin'

Overheard at Tally Ho tonight, by a person drinking beer:

"Hurricaines have names, but tornadoes don't. It's like... children have names, but sperm don't." The frightening thing? This seemed to be accepted as a logical explanation by all the others at the table drinking beer. [At one point, someone suggested Funnelina as a possible tornado name.]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Truncated for the Llove of my life

Nate brought me flowers tonight. :-)