Sunday, May 01, 2005

Catching up

I guess I've just gone through a few days where posting didn't seem worth the effort. We were busy and everything, and I just couldn't seem to get started. Didn't want to, really. So now I have a Backlog of thoughts. But I'm tired. So this may not be long, anyway. We'll see.

I can't remember anything that happened Thursday.

Friday morning was stressful. Finals are coming up at LCCC, so everyone is Needy and Desparate and Stressed, and sometimes it really Gets to me. I had nine students Friday morning, and I felt like the mother of Nontuplets. Tom is in both Math for Finance and Business Statistics, two classes that the other tutors don't tutor because they're Rare and Obscure and Difficult, so I simply had to help him. Dave and Farzad (from Iran; oh I love the non-American students!!) are in Calculus, and Ed doesn't feel ready to tutor that yet. Donna and Radusha (sp? She has an Indian name that she's written for me, but I can't read her handwriting) are in Statistics, which Ben could tutor, except that Ben tends to sit around reading books and waiting for people to come to him for help instead of offering people help (GRrr!!) Then there's Paulette and Carol- both in regular algebra classes that Tom or Ed COULD tutor just fine, except that both ladies decided early on that they Liked Me and Want Only Me to Help Them. Grrr!! So I try to be all nice and kind and helpful and friendly and patient and give people good quality explanations, but everyone's demands build up till I feel like I want to scream.

It's not like that all the time, mind you. It's okay.

But at 12 we got a nice break: the annual Tutor Luncheon. Which means [obviously] a proverbial Free Lunch, and, this time, for me, a nice Going Away card and a gift certificate for $150 for our local mall. So I feel Appreciated. And they said when I die, they're going to name the Math Lab after me. That's right, folks. The Nancy Elizabeth Bush Memorial Math Lab.

I'm pretty sure Fred was just joking about that.

Friday night and Saturday morning we had play practice, and Saturday night was the play. As Nate said, it went really well, and there were only one or two slight instances of Line Forgetting which were not really a big deal. The Holy Spirit definitely helped us, as some of the people who had missed a lot of rehearsals were still struggling with lines the morning of(!!) I've been saying the past few weeks, WHY are we doing this...? Just too many rehearsals... Well, last night when we performed, I found out why. There was a doting old lady in the front row: big poofy hair, denture overbite, pink polyester pants. She hung on every word we said; laughed at the funny lines and most of the ones that weren't, too. I think she was the Fat Lady that Seymour talked about. Buddy said it was Jesus Himself.

I'm so sleepy and I have a to-do list a mile long, but it's time for bed.

Neb

PS My to-do list, so I don't forget:
*Check bank balance, pay rent, tithe, hospital bill, 3 credit card bills
*Call Chrissy's mom, Laura's mom, buy Laura a new math book, call The Anonymous Lady I talked to this morning
*Fold the load of laundry scattered on the living room floor, wash dishes, groceries
Okay, that's not a mile long. But over half of that stuff needs to get done Tomorrow Morning.