Thursday, December 01, 2005

In which I actually write a "normal" post...?

Normal meaning, I update about what's going on in my life without resorting to inane couplets or massive pictures.

School is in the homestretch for the semester. Tuesday was a Massive Abstract Algebra Marathon, in which I did FOURTEEN (!!!) problems to complete an assignment due Wed. morning. (Yes, 14 abstract algebra problems is a lot. Especially when you haven't read the sections yet. Reading the sections requires digestion of some tough proofs. It takes a Long Time. Trust me.) Today is scheduled to be a Massive Probability Theory Marathon, as there are 13 problems due tomorrow and I haven't started yet (because I actually took a Break for Thanksgiving, unlike many other students I know.)

Also, Professor Algebra was just informed by a little birdie (or his wife?) that the semester ends A WEEK FROM THIS FRIDAY, and the realization dawned on him that he has only covered GROUP THEORY and this is a class on groups AND RINGS. (Rings! Not like The One Ring to Rule Them All, but, like, a group hopped up on something possibly illegal in the lower 48 states that makes it think its elements can also MULTIPLY!!)

So, his solution to this? Assign us to read THIRTEEN SECTIONS from chapters 6, 7, and 8 on our own, and we'll mostly skip the part about having lectures on it and doing homework problems on it (you know, the things that actually help us learn it and understand it), 'cause there's no time, and then we'll have a test on it on the last day of class.

Sounds like a plan, huh?

I have a massive headache.

But I'm Very Happy. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And for the record, at your place of higher learning, exams and most graded assignments (large papers, big homewok sets, quizzes) are not allowed during the week before finals.

I vote for turning the guy in. There's too much of a "this professor is horrible at teaching and breaks the rules but he's nice so I don't want him in trouble" mentality among students when it comes to following the school rules and doing course evaluations, and that's one of the things that keeps bad professors teaching.