Saturday, July 28, 2007

Some Number of Weeks and Days that is Statistically Only an Estimate



GOOD MORNING!! Where is my coffee? Do you know where my coffee is? Have you seen it? You're not HIDING it, are you...?

Ah, here it is. It is All Okay now.

So! We did the ultrasound thing yesterday. And everything was Good. We only got two pictures and neither of them is very exciting- one is of the back of her head, and the other is sort of unidentifiable tissue. But when I can scan them next week, I'll post them. (The technician took a lot more pictures, but I think she has to give them to the dr. to be reviewed.)

The good news: our baby has turned into the right position! She is head down, face down (which is good for labor, but sadly means we didn't get to see much of her face.) Clearly she has been blessed with her Daddy's sense of direction, not mine. :-) The not-particularly-good-or-bad news: she is a little bit on the small side. The ultrasound machines they have now actually give you a developmental date based on measurements- ie, measure the circumference of her head and the machine comes up with something like "33 weeks 4 days," which, to me, is pretty impressive. Anyway, taking all her measurements into account, the technician said the machine was estimating her due date at Sept. 11th (although they won't change my actual "due date" at this point). However, she weighs about 4 lbs 12 oz now, and babies at this stage usually gain about 1/2 a lb a week, so in terms of weight she would probably be a perfectly healthy 7 lbs 4 oz if born on her due date. (By the way: Yes, I realize the slight amount of statistical absurdity inherent in all this. Bear with me. I need something to do to wile away the weeks, and guessing whether I'll be early or late is a harmless enough pastime, isn't it...?)

NUTRITIONALLY GRAPHIC INFORMATION AHEAD. READER DISCRETION ADVISED. (That means you, Bethany.)

Last night I ate 4 Krispy Kreme donuts to celebrate. And some ice cream. Yeah, I have been all about the Sugary Carbohydrates recently. I go through phases. Sometimes I'm in a spinach salad phase. Or a beef phase. Really!

/END NUTRITIONALLY GRAPHIC INFORMATION.

Also, I am totally and deeply into Nesting. I flutter around our apartment, collecting small bits of twigs and moss and installing them in the crib. Nate seems perplexed by what I am doing. He does not understand why I reorganize the piles of baby clothes and move the furniture around and so forth. And I cannot explain it to him. I just know that it is Important! Really, really important!

Well, I need to get going. On today's agenda:

Take the car to get inspected. (Pray, PRAY for a non-huge-repair bill!!)
Go to the mall while car is being inspected. Shop for: new sheets (with pillowcases that fit our new large pillows), a waterproof mattress pad, nursing nightgowns, nursing bras. Go to BabiesRUs and look one more time at diaper bags, breastpumps, and slings, in an attempt to make a decision as to what to add to our registry. (I'm seriously leaning towards making a cloth sling at this point. Although I think Nate would like the Baby Bjorn that promises a lot of air flow when he takes Madelaine hiking. We'll have to think about it...) Go to Walmart (?) and buy flowers for our patio. (This totally contradicts the Moratorium on Non-Essential Spending...) And speaking of flowers, here's the picture I took of the Cheap Aldi Flowers I occasionally buy:


Signing out!
Love, Neb

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoever own that nice looking pair of skis is a very lucky person.

judy said...

Neb, you make me laugh. Love the spam post. No worries, you'll be fine with everything when the time comes. I impress very much. (G)

Love, Pretend mom Judy

judy said...

Oh yes, I've just spent the past 2 hours on a Sat. night catching up on your blog. Sleepy....