Thursday, January 31, 2008

I've found a solution!!

Yeah, remember the minivan/SUV/car dilemma below? My dad reminded me of these babies:

Doesn't it look happy? Like it's smiling at us in a friendly kind of way? And check out the interior!

It's like a little 1950's Dinnette! Complete with black and white linoleum and everything! I want to live in the bus with my husband and all of our babies, driving around the country and homeschooling and growing our own beans in little pots in the backseat!! We could knit potholders and sell them for $1 apiece door to door to support ourselves!!* And maybe pass out Tracts, too!

Here's the amazing dashboard:

My favorite part is the Stick of Death Gear Shifter, ready to impale the (unseatbelted??) driver at the first fender bender, as the rest of the vehicle crumples like an aluminum can and those shiny metal dashboard pieces do their worst. And, no, the backseats DON'T have enough seatbelts for all 3 of the child seats we were originally looking for- but I figure we can either have seatbelts installed (as the seller on ebay motors suggested) or just use good old DUCT TAPE.

Next up for consideration, we have this beauty, with custom fractal paint job and everything!

[This one kind of makes me want to drive around Hawaii or Paris or Oklahoma or something, designing and selling Quilts.]

[Did I mention that when we lived in Mississippi when I was little, my parents had a VW bus that was blue with a rainbow painted on the side in all shades of... blue? They bought it used from a local pastor.]

Some models of the so-called "Vanagon" had special features- like this 1987 model with a pop-up top (is there a bed up there...? I think so , but it's hard to tell from the picture...)These guys have some cool camping features like little kitchenettes and beds! So awesome. I want to live in one. And by the way, is it just me, or does it look like the 70's models have "faces" reminiscent of a mellow, bell-bottomed, thick-mustached, banjo-strumming motorcycle mechanic, while the 80's models (like this one) look like a digital-watch-wearing, skinny-tied Asian engineering student...?

Then, there was the pick-up truck:
Good for traveling around town with your pony. Or pet goat. Or platypus.

Have a whole lot of kids, and like to catch the breeze when you drive? Try this "23 Window Samba Deluxe"!


Allright, I could go on and on, but I should go interact with my child...

Love, Neb

*I suppose this is sort of an Evangelical, far-less-lucrative version of "grow pot in pots in the backseat and sell it door to door," although when I first wrote it I wasn't thinking of that...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a very wise dad, indeed. I love those vans.

Davilyn

Anonymous said...

The blog reminded me of one of my favorite scenes in the movie Cars. Filmore is a VW van with artwork on the side:

Filmore: [looking at a stoplight blinking yellow] I'm tellin' you, man, every third blink is slower.

Sarge: The '60s weren't good to you, were they?

(I saw this quite a few times, since it was in the trailer run before The Chronicles of Narnia :-)