Sunday, May 15, 2005

Flowers in the Garden :-) [poorly structured passage]

There are finally flowers in the containers on the balcony. :-) Some little white daisies, purple impatients, yellow marigolds, some little wispy wildflower-looking plants, and one salmon geranium (?) that has yet to flower. (That last one was Nate's pick. I pointed out "it doesn't really match the others" and he said something like, "yeah, it's weird like me!") :-)

The fact that my husband, a responsible Horticulturist, has been involved in the selection and planting of this year's crops, bodes well for their survival. Nate is good with plants- photographic evidence exists of some florific miracles he worked in the backyard of their house in Reading, and we have 7 or 8 happy, thriving houseplants in our bedroom, to boot. He speaks tenderly to them, waters them regularly, moves them in and out of the sun (as needed), and calls each one by (scientific) name. Me? I look at plants and they wither. You could take a plant in the height of life, full bloom, healthy green leaves, and I'll enthusiastically water it, moderately, ONCE, and the next day it will be dead. I'm not kidding. (Well, almost.) I have, I must confess, managed to keep a lilly plant alive since Easter, but that's rather a special case. (Okay okay, if you must know... it's a little hokey. After Easter, when the blooms had fallen off, I noticed the plant was all dried out, and normally if it's not blooming I don't see what good it is and I don't care if it dies. But then I realized, I could keep this plant alive if I watered it. And I felt sorry for it because it was all dried out. This is when they weren't giving Terry Schiavo water, okay?? And I thought, okay, I can water this lilly. So it's kind of Terry's lilly.)

Back to Nate- as he transplanted little daisies outdoors yesterday, he rather Cooed at them- can you all imagine Nate cooing?- and murmered something [to me] like "this is for you to see how I'll treat the babies someday" (yes, there were Rewards in our bedroom later.) ;-)

It was Nice planting our garden together. And it was nice that we only have a little patio with a few containers. I think we're warming up to play house in a Big Regular house with kids someday.

PS We planted Bluebonnet seeds, too! (That's the official state flower of the Motherland, in case you don't know.) :-)

No comments: