Thursday, May 05, 2005

Insomnia, Java [the non-technical variety], and White Powdery Drugs

I drank coffee around 10 last night and was mostly Awake for the next 12 hours. You would think, at the ripe old age of 25, that I would know better by now, but I simply don't. See, the plan was to drink the coffee and remain alert until around 2 (quality study time right there!), then fall effortlessly asleep and sleep until 9. Of course, what actually happened was that I felt ready for bed by 11:30, tried to go to sleep, dozed fitfully until around 4 when Nate came to bed and woke me up by talking to me, listened to the garbage trucks empying the dumpsters in our complex, and proved the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality backwards in my mind.

In Chaim Potok's books, the principal characters "sit around the kitchen table at night, talking and drinking coffee." Doesn't that sound nice and soothing? Apparently none of THEM have trouble sleeping afterwards; or else they guzzle Nyquil.

**************************************************

Speaking of drug abuse, we ran out of Sweet and Low yesterday morning. This represents a Crisis in the Bush household (not the Wentzel household, as my husband is not a User [or Abuser].) So I took my milked-but-not-sweetened cup of coffee with me, to slosh all over the car on the long ride to Lehigh and then LCCC, refraining from Drinking with great sadness and frustration. What disturbs me about this whole scenario is my Dependence on the fake stuff; I found myself frantically rooting through my car, looking for stray Pink Packets containing my substance of need. The plan was to raid the coffee cabinet at school, but I couldn't even hold out that long; I pulled into a gas station for an intended Sweeten-and-Go. After all, what gas station doesn't have Coffee, with the requisite accompanying selection of artificial sweeteners?

This gas station didn't. :-(

So I didn't have any coffee until I reached Civilization (the aforementioned coffee cabinet at LCCC).

Then I tutored 17 students in four hours. It was really quite dreadful.

Okay, I recently resolved that my blog should sound less Negative, and today's selection hasn't helped towards that goal, so I'll cut it off Here.