Thursday, May 24, 2007

Graduation



Graduation was Monday morning at 10 am. I was the last candidate in alphabetical order to receive an MS in the College of Arts and Sciences, which meant I scored this great front-row-center seat. On stage here you see the president of Lehigh and our graduation speaker, who was a blind mountain climber with a cool German Shepherd.

I actually managed to make it from 9:30 to 1 pm without using a bathroom. Amazing.

The senior class president talked about failure- how he started as an engineering major, couldn't hack it in a technical field, and changed to philosophy. How failure is part of the journey to success and part of real life. It seemed strangely fitting.

When my name was called, I shook President Alice's hand and had my picture taken, then heard a huge cheer. I thought "Who...?" then realized the guy in line in front of me had unzipped his robe to reveal a Speedo. No complete nudity, thank goodness. I prayed for no nudity.

The math department hosted a lovely little reception after the ceremony, but by the time we got out of traffic and made it back to the main part of campus, several people had already left- including Professor King. It was too bad because I really wanted my parents to meet him.


To the left we see Ken, who made coffee that tasted like the washing up and had a great plaid couch that came with free therapy; Jen, who was in the office across the hall and kept me sane; Prof. Algebra (from first semester- the one whose chalkboard lectures looked like an ocean of indecipherable squiggles); and Professor Friendly (who taught Big Kid Real Analysis)- a champion always. I'll miss them all.





Here is Mary-Ann, our fabulous department secretary, and my friend Stephanie, who also is leaving with her MS.






























When all is said and done, I will have good memories of this place.



Love, Neb

No comments: